![]() |
| Woman performing the Snatch |
While doing research, I came across an article by Joe
Donatelli from September 30, 2012 titled, “The Worst Fitness Advice of All
Time”. The article made me chuckle a few
times and, for the most part, the author was correct. I did not agree with his
photo caption about “forcing out those extra reps at the end of a set could be
bad or even dangerous.” In my opinion, depending
on what your fitness goal is, forcing one more rep (every now and then) isn’t
bad. If your goal is muscle endurance
per se (again, you must know your desired goal and the proper way to achieve
it), getting one or two reps at the end of the set will contribute to increased
muscle endurance.
For example, let’s look at why someone like Kendrick Farris who
successfully lifted 157 kg (345 lbs)[i]
in the Snatch didn’t do nearly as well as Rich Froning[ii]
(the current Crossfit champion) when executing the Crossfit routine “Isabel”[iii].
Focusing on the way they both trained to
perform the same movements, Farris trained his body to lift heavy, while Froning
trained to lift repeatedly. The theory
of specific adaptations to imposed demands (SAID) states the body will have a
specific response to specific stresses. In other words, the body adapts to meet
specific challenges. This would also be
the case if Froning attempted to Snatch 157 kg. I’m sure the words “Epic Fail” wouldn’t begin
to describe the result.
So though I’m not completely against this article, I advise
you to do your homework. Successful
Personal Trainers are not just “fitness junkies” who obtained awesome results
by chance. They are educated and
nationally certified; many hold degrees in exercise science, kinesiology, and
biomechanics. Do not discount their
knowledge; in fact, the author also interviewed a CPT for this article.
Here is the link to the article I mentioned http://www.livestrong.com/article/557977-the-worst-fitness-advice-of-all-time/. The links to Froning’s and Farris’ clips on
YouTube are below. Please review them
and make your own hypothesis.
Everyone have a great day.
-Reuben

No comments:
Post a Comment